#[voice breaks] i'm fine
I wanted there to be an echo of what happened to Harry just to show the absolute evil of what Voldemort’s doing. The fact that you leave orphans and you leave children who then have to make their way in the world uncared for and unprotected. And— so that’s why I killed the two that, you know, you know about in this book. Which I hated, hated doing because I love them both as characters. - jk rowling on teddy lupin
"This is what frustrates me…People don’t like Sansa because she is feminine. It annoys me that people only like the feminine characters when they act like male characters. And they always go on about feminism. Like, you’re rooting for the people who look like boys, who act like boys, who fight like boys. Root for the girls who wear dresses and are intellectually very strong."
Most of my Saturday was spent looking up stuff about Bina48.
BINA48 is a project of Terasem Movement, Inc™ and is designed to test whether a person’s consciousness can be downloaded into a non-biological or nanotechnological body after combining detailed data about a person through the use of future consciousness software
lesbian of color black lesbian (who is married to a trans woman) becomes the model for an ultra advanced AI system.
This is huge.
Other links: [x] [x] [x]
So lemme get this… the developer/CEO of the development company is a jewish trans lesbian woman and the highest paid female ceo in america, and this project is based on her wife, a black lesbian woman, and both are mothers with children from previous relationships who they have now each legally adopted???
this exists in the actual world and people still think sci fi can only be about straight cis vaguely-christian white men…….
Vampire, faerie, succubus, GO
Vampire: Someone offers you a chance at immortality. Do you take it, and why or why not?
Mmmm imma go with no because you’d know that everyone you met and loved would die while you kept going and you’d just end up missing all these dead people and it would be way sad bro.
Faerie: If you could get away with anything, what would you do?
Steal FUCKTONS of money. Give a fuckton to charity, and keep a fuckton for myself. Nothing like financial security!
Succubus: What’s one thing you can’t live without?
Ferguson residents return for another day of protesting to find that overnight the police had ripped up their signs and threw them in the dumpster.
I don’t know which is worse—ripped up signs, or bands in support of Darren Wilson.
"so why do you like lord of the rings so much?" [opens 80 slide per point presentation] [pulls out index cards] [places graphs on stands in front] [carefully arranges posters] [clears throat] "why, friend, i am so glad you asked"
What’s happening in Hong Kong?
- The protests are being held in order to achieve universal suffrage in Hong Kong. Although democracy had been promised for 2017 in 2008, China announced this August that Hong Kong people would only be able to vote from a pool of 2-3 specially selected candidates (all of whom would definitely have pro-China sentiments)
- University students held a week-long boycott of classes to protest for true democracy in Hong Kong
- Today riot police were deployed against peaceful protesters. Equipped in full riot gear the police used pepper spray to deter the protesters, mainly students and youths but also some elderly people have reported being sprayed point blank
- It is estimated that over 50,000 people have joined the protest and this number continues to grow
- This is the largest political protest in Hong Kong since our independence from the UK in 1997
- Although the protests remain peaceful, police have now started to use tear gas and have brought out long guns loaded with rubber bullets (there hasn’t yet been a report of any bullets being shot)
- Over 80 arrests have been made including students as young as 16 for taking part in these protests
- They are cutting cell phone receptions in the protest area so that people can’t share any information
- Violence is increasing as police continue to instigate protesters
- All this comes right before the October 1st celebration of the 65th anniversary of founding of the People’s Republic of China
- There are rumours that the PLA (the Chinese army) are going to be brought into the city tonight
More facts about Hong Kong:
- We run under a one country, two systems policy with China meaning that we are part of China but have our own government and laws.
- Protests for universal suffrage have been held throughout the summer but these are the biggest yet
- Anti-China and anti-government sentiments are at their highest levels yet. Survey results showed that 1 in 5 people are thinking of emigrating from the city.
- In June, China issued a white paper essentially telling Hong Kong to remember their place and re-asserting their authority over the city
The scenes from the protest look awful. In my 17 years in Hong Kong I’ve never seen anything like it. The world needs to know about this and say something before we get a recurrence of the Tiananmen Square massacre.
I hope everyone stays safe. Hong Kong stay strong.